Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Week 1





This blog was born to document the exploration of Los Angeles through the eyes of a cultural geography student. Over the following weeks, I will be exploring nooks and crannies of the city that I’ve never been to before, and revisiting familiar places with new concepts in mind. Along the way I’ll be investigating social difference through my interactions with spaces and people. As we progress through course material, I will be able to find relevance and meaning to the patterns, which appear as difference in our city.  I am interested in learning about how race and class affect the variance in neighborhoods specifically in regards to wealth disparities. I would like to study how neighborhoods, which are home to the super rich, and neighborhoods that are home to poverty stricken individuals can coexist in such close proximity.  I will be looking for signs of their interaction and for signs of their clear boundaries. I am also interested in how nature and environment play a role in the social differences of the city. I believe that Los Angeles is an extremely diverse city and it is this characteristic that makes it as vibrant and eclectic as it is. I look forward to exploring how social difference has affected Los Angeles thus far and how it will continue to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment